Thursday, December 29, 2011

Video Game Collection x 2

Ever look back on your game collection and ask yourself, "Why do I own 2 of these?" Well, I asked myself that a few weeks ago and still don't really know the answer. My game collection has many duplicate games, games I own more than once and in some cases three or more times. Whether my reasoning is I like it more on this system, or it's only $x amount for a backup copy no matter how it's ultimately justified...it's never really justified.

Momentarily I shall list off my multiple games just to show how absurd it really is. But before you see my travesty of a money hole, reflect on your own. Are you as crazy as I am? Are you intelligent enough to say 1 copy is enough and so what if I have to plug the NES back in to play it? Or are you like me and even though you didn't even really LIKE Far Cry 2 that much you bought it again on Steam for $7 because PC controls > PS3 controller?

Well friends that's the sort of thing I will reflect on below. I will do my very best to list all the duplicate games I have, but honestly, there's a good chance I will miss a few.

In absolutely no particular order:

Zelda Ocarina of Time: N64/3DS/Gamecube/Gamecube (yes twice on Gamecube)
Mario 64: N64/DS
Mario 1, 2, 3: NES/Wii
Super Mario World: SNES/GBA
Mario Kart 64: N64/Wii
Ninja Gaiden 2: NES/Wii
Kirby's Adventure: NES/Wii
Metroid Prime: Gamecube/Wii
Metroid Prime 2: Gamecube/Wii
Metroid Prime 3: Wii/Wii
God of War 2: PS2/PS3
Zen Pinball: PS3/iOS
Max Payne: PC/PC (steam)
Max Payne 2: PC/PC (steam)
Dead Space: PS3/PC (steam)
Final Fantasy 7: PC/PSP
Final Fantasy 8: PC/PSP
Vagrant Story: PS1/PSP
Xenogears: PS1/PSP
Chrono Cross: PS1/PS1 (bought it twice)
Super Mario RPG: SNES/Wii
Street Fighter 2: SNES/PS2/PS3/GBA
Mega Man X: SNES/Gamecube
Mega Man 6: NES/Gamecube
Mega Man 7: SNES/Gamecube
Mega Man Zero 3: GBA/NDS
Mega Man Zero 4: GBA/NDS
Mario Kart Super Circuit: GBA/3DS
Donkey Kong Country: GB/SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2: GB/SNES/GBA
Far Cry 2: PS3/PC (steam)
FEAR 2: PS3/PC (steam)
STALKER: PC/PC (steam)
STALKER Call of Prypit: PC (still wrapped)/PC (steam)
Street Fighter 3: PS2/PS3
Street Fighter 4: PS3/PS3
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit: PS3/PC (steam)
Zelda: 3DS/Gamecube
Zelda II: NES/3DS/Gamecube
Metroid: GBA/3DS
Assassin's Creed: PC/PC (steam)
Fallout New Vegas: PS3/PC (steam)
Borderlands: PS3/PC (steam)
Shank: PS3/PC (steam)
Killer Instinct: SNES/GB
Tekken 6: PSP/PS3
LittleBigPlanet: PS3/PSP


I am fairly confident that isn't all of them but I am away from my game center at the moment so this is all memory. The one that bothers me most of all though is STALKER Call of Prypit. I bought that game brand new for $40 when it came out assuming it would be hard to find later on, and Steam wasn't carrying it at the time. A year went by and I never played the game, then Steam had a sale on it for $3...I bought it without thinking claiming convenience of not putting a disc in the tray was worth the $3. And don't get me wrong, it is worth that...but to this day I haven't played the game even ONCE. I bought it TWICE and haven't played it once! How sick is that? DEMENTED I say.

What's even WORSE is I found out later my CD key for my box copy probably would have activated through Steam for free...But really I haven't played it yet because I didn't beat the other two Stalker games I have. And yeah, I own the first Stalker TWICE too!

Another sick anecdote about this list is the Metroid Prime games. I paid the FULL $50 for each game, that's $150 total. Then they made the Prime collection disc! I refused to buy it but then I found a sale on it for $20 PLUS Nintendo said they were stopping production of the game so I had to get it. $170 later I own the Metroid Prime series TWICE.

I guess the worst part about this list of mine is how few of these games I've managed to play the copy of. In other words, I'd buy the game again but not actually play it. The prime series is a prime example...lol...where I played all the gamecube games and MP3 on Wii, but the collection disc I played Metroid Prime 1 and that was it. Final Fantasay 8 on PSP...not beat. Actually, let me make a separate list:

Copies of games I own and have not played/beat. If I list it in both (or all forms) that means I never beat the game at all.

Metroid Prime 2: Wii
Metroid Prime 3: Wii
Assassin's Creed: PC (steam)
STALKER: PC/PC (steam)
STALKER Call of Prypit: PC (still wrapped)/PC (steam)
LittleBigPlanet: PS3/PSP
Fallout New Vegas: PS3/PC (steam)
FEAR 2: PC (steam)
Far Cry 2: PC (steam)
Final Fantasy 8: PSP
Super Mario RPG: Wii
Zelda Ocarina of Time: 3DS/Gamecube/Gamecube
Mega Man Zero 4: NDS
Shank: PC
Dead Space: PC (steam)
Max Payne: PC (steam)
Max Payne 2: PC (steam)

Ok so you get the picture? SICKNESS! I have it I'm sure. But, I'm doing better. I decided not to buy Assassin's Creed 2 on steam for $5 yesterday since I already own it on PS3 and KNEW it would end up on the second list! What would be the point!

So I guess my point is you don't really own a game until you own it twice! ...or more!

*Hi my name is Acefondu...and I'm addicted to buying games for no goddamn reason.*

No comments: