Friday, January 23, 2009

Top 15 Games of All Time - K to the Y to the L to the E

I saw that the Portex had posted his 15 favorite games, and i simply couldn't resist following suit. There are plenty of obscure games that I could post that I really loved, but honestly none of them give me the unadulterated feelings of pure joy that these 15 do. You'll notice some overlap with Porter's, but not nearly as many as you think. Without further ado:

Goldeneye 007: I'm a Bond geek in epic ways, and this game was the first real FPS I played at length. I judge almost every shooter I ever play against it. I don't feel I need to say more.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time : I decided at the beginning if the article that i would only post specific games, not entire series, and I feel like Ocarina of time simply embodies what Zelda is, can be, and will become. A sprawling adventure the likes of which had never been seen at the time, and the reason I yell HAI when cutting bread.

Super Mario Galaxy : It completely redefined what 3D platformer can be, and boy oh boy did it do it well. There's just so much to do, and so many places to visit. I've spent hours on this game, and not noticed.

Banjo-Kazooie : A strange game about a bear and a bird fighting a witch may seem out of place, but it took the go-and-find-stuff type of game and it absolutely perfected it. This was back when Rare was king.

Resident Evil 4 : Wii Edition : Porter already talked about this one a bit, and i feel pretty much the way he did. It was great on the Gamecube, it was ok on the PS2, but it truly SHINED on the Wii. Nuff said.

Bioshock: Bioshock was fun, atmospheric, creepy, and it actually had a good story. the gameplay is fun and angagiing, and it was one of the only shooters of recent generations to not limit your amount of weapons to one or two at a time, and to allow medpack healing instead of magically healing when you hide. It was a bit of a throwback in that way, but far advanced in others.

Dead Space: What can i say about Dead Space? It was freaky, fun, challenging, and it had a good story going for it! It was even genuinely frightening, something that not much is for me. I always walked away from the game with the feeling that I really didn't want to be alone right now. Good stuff.

Silent Hill 2 : This was the first survival horror game that gave me nightmares. It was just plain freaky, with those shambling things, and the ever popular Pyramid Head. The puzzles were fun and interesting, and the story left me feeling.... icky.

Portal : This was a fun little experiment. Straightforward gameplay, straightforward goal. Get from one end of the room to the other. With a portal gun. I'm eager to see where they take Portal 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Ok, we all knew this was coming. With one amazing exception, this is my favorite game of all time, and this is the best game in the series. It combines the best of the gameplay from the previous games with new elements, such as the jungle survival tactics, and the fun of a cold war setting. It feels like a classic spy story, and I truly loved every last minute.

Kingdom Hearts II : If ever a game concept has sounded stupider than Kingdom Hearts, it's probably from Shigeru Miyamoto. However, just like the Shiggy, this game was a startling success. The careful blend of Disney with Square seemed to truly create an original and epic plot. It dominated my imagination for a long time after I finished it.

Max Payne II : The slow motion gunplay of the first game got a face lift, and now looked beautiful and smooth. I loved this sequel.

Oblivion : Elder Scrolls IV : This one almost didn't make the list, but then I thought about it. I think I have spent more time on this game than I have on any other, EVER. Even Pokemon took less time out of my life. In total, with multiple save files. I believe I have had well over 300 hours of gameplay in this first person RPG. Holy crap.

Final Fantasy IX : The inevitable Final Fantasy on my list has a special place in my heart because it combined the old gameplay of the originals with sleek and interesting visuals made possible by the PS1's at the time stellar graphics. A true classic.

Shadow of the Colossus : This game is truly my favorite game of all time. I have beaten it a dozen times, and I still play it regularly. There are only 16 enemies in the game, but they are all massive. Huge to the point where you have to climb them to kill them. It was truly an epic experience, and a masterpiece of what games could be.

That's my list. I can only hope that our third member, keith, follows along and announces his 15 most likely far less awesome games list.

1 comment:

Acefondu said...

My list looks more official, what with the picture and all. hahaha.