Friday, January 23, 2009

Top 15 Games of All Time - Portex


Not in any particular order I have listed above what I feel are the 15 best games I have ever played. The picture and list comes from a voting system developed by gamefaqs.com and that is my entry. Below I will give my reasons for why I chose these games.

Xenogears: Xenogears is my favorite game ever, period. It was a game that read like a novel, and played even better. The battle system was tight and fluid allowing the user to create their own combos of martial arts, or get in a giant gear and change up the formula slightly. It was addicting, the story was engrossing, and the characters were fascinating. Pick this one up if you haven't already, I implore you!

Super Mario Galaxy: There's not much to say about this one that gamers shouldn't already be aware of. This game is quite simply the greatest 3D plat former ever. It was easy enough for newbies and challenging as all hell for anyone trying the daunting task of mastering the game. I loved every minute of its gravity defying and outright torturous level design. It is Myamoto's last masterpiece as of now and if you haven't played this, you do not know what you're missing.

Baten Kaitos: If I wanted I would have added both Baten Kaitos games, the only reason I picked the first one was because the battle system was far more intense and fun. For those unaware (and that's probably all of you) Baten Kaitos had one of the most unique and fast paced battle systems I have ever seen. You are given a handful of seconds to combine and string together a series of cards that you have entered in as a deck for each unique character. That string is determined by basic card game rules of like pairs, a straight, flush, and so on. The fun was that this was the case for both offense and defense. Never before has every battle in an RPG been just as fun as the one before it since trying to maximize your attack string was absolutely addicting. Oh, yeah and the story/music was fabulous as well.

Xenosaga III: All 3 were great in story / music, but Xenosaga III is most notable for its conclusion and playable battle system. If you didn't tackle the previous 2 or Xenogears don't bother with this game though.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: While I personally think Twilight Princess is the better game, in the list of voting I had to represent its father. If I have to explain this pick then you are not a gamer.

Final Fantasy 7: Stay away from the internet when you hear opinions about this game. For some reason a whole bunch of people smog hate over it for no good reason. This is the best Final Fantasy Square ever made, period. Every character had a unique and interesting back story, the villain was mesmerizing, the music was flawless, and the story was paced and presented so perfectly that you forget you're playing an RPG sometimes.

Street Fighter 2: My opinions are well known about this entry, see my previous blog for more info.

Super Mario 3: Super duh explains this pick.

Devil May Cry 3: The DMC series transformed the 'hack n' slash' formula to whole new heights. DMC3 did it the best with the most unique number of bosses, attacks, and all out fun fun fun! Oh, and it was bitching hard! But that's ok, I loved it for that reason. Do not play this if you have heart problems.

Mega Man Zero 3: I love everything about Mega Man. I have beat and played every Mega Man game that isn't some super weird spin-off, and trust me this is the best you can get out of Mega Man. Zero 3 does everything right from bosses, to minor enemies, to no hassle and fun side quests. I have literally beat this game 10 times, and you should beat it too!

Mirror's Edge: Again I have wrote about this one already, it is fantastic.

Golden Sun: The first RPG to hit a Nintendo console in years at the time really showcased just what was right about traditional RPG's. Granted the second game in the series was bigger, longer, and better I chose the first one only because the second one has this ridiculous 5 hour dungeon in the middle of the game that makes me never want to play it again!

Resident Evil 4 (Wii): The Wii version is the best, period. The aiming is so precise you can snipe with a pistol. RE4 needs no further touting of its greatness though.

Goldeneye 007: Once again, if I have to explain this choice then you have no business on a gaming site.

Star Wars Rouge Squadren II: This is the most fluid and precise aerial combat game ever conceived. This was when Factor 5 could make a game and make it well. Without a doubt this is the best Star Wars game ever made as well. Those who argue for Knights of the Old Republic do not understand that Star Wars is and always will be an action movie, and KotOR was about as boring as a game can get. Live the spirit of Star Wars through a game that can get your heart racing, that's all I'm saying.

*If you haven't played at least one of the above, I will personally come to your house with lighter fluid, a box of matches, 20 gallons of sulfuric acid, a double-barreled shotgun, 10 playboy magazines, and a select few of the above games and force you to play them*

No comments: